Emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics typically complete a postsecondary educational program. All states require EMTs and paramedics to be licensed; requirements vary by state.
Employment of emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics is projected to grow 7 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations. Emergencies, such as car crashes, natural disasters, and acts of violence, will continue to require the skills of EMTs and paramedics.
Both a high school diploma or equivalent and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification typically are required for entry into postsecondary educational programs in emergency medical technology. Most of these programs are nondegree award programs that can be completed in less than 1 year; others last up to 2 years. Paramedics, however, may need an associate’s degree. Programs in emergency medical technology are offered by technical institutes, community colleges, universities, and facilities that specialize in emergency care training. Some states have EMR positions that do not require national certification. These positions typically require state certification.
SOURCE: Bureau of Labor Statistics
NOTE: In many states you can start training for EMT/EMS as early as age 16!
- Bergen County Technician School, Paramus, NJ
- Darien Emergency Medical Services, Darien, CT
- Echo Hose Ambulance Community Training Center, Shelton, CT
- Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport, CT
- Fairfield Fire School, Fairfield, CT
- Greenwich Emergency Medical Service, Greenwhich CT
- Irvington Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Irvington, NY
- Newtown Vounteer Ambulance Corps, Newtown, CT
- Phelps Hospital Northwell Health, Sleepy Hollow, NY
- Nelson Ambulance, Stratford, CT
- Norwalk Fire Department, Norwalk, CT
- Rockland County EMS Training Academy
- Rockland Paramedic Serives, Chestnut Ridge, NY
- Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Scarsdale, NY
- Southern Westchester BOCES EMS Program for High School Students, Valhalla, NY
- Stratford Emergency Medical Service, Stratford, CT
- SUNY Westchester EOC, Yonkers, NY
- Trumbull Emergecny Medical Services, Trumbull, CT
- Westchester Community College EMS Program, Valhalla, NY
- Westchester Regional EMS Council White Plains, NY