The publication of Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale in 1985 and the current, Emmy Award-winning television series have created a cultural phenomenon, as handmaids have become a symbol of women’s rights and a protest against misogyny and oppression. Atwood will be interviewed by broadcaster and author Samira Ahmed in a conversation spanning the length of Atwood’s remarkable career, her diverse range of works, and why she has returned to her seminal handmaid story, 34 years later.
‘Dear Readers: Everything you’ve ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book. Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we’ve been living in.’ Margaret Atwood
SOURCE: Fathom Events
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
- Alastair Noble: Message in a Bo(a)ttle Art Exhibition thru August 25 ~Nyack, NY~
- Engage: A Made-Up Star Trek Musical thru August 28 ~Manhattan~
- Sunset Jazz Concerts Thursdays thru August 29 ~Tarrytown, NY~
- Hudson River Museum Teen DJs Friday thru August 31 ~Yonkers, NY~
- Sean Kenney’s Art Made with LEGO Bricks’s thru September 2 ~Jersey City, NJ~
- Bat-Manga! The Secret History of Batman in Japan thru October 12 ~Manhattan~
- Play Days at John Jay Homestead State Historic Site Fridays thru October 25 ~Katonah~
- The Batman Collection of Chip Kidd thru November 2 ~Manhattan~