New York State DEC Spring Native Tree Seedling Sale thru May 12
DEC operates the Colonel William F. Fox Memorial Saratoga Tree Nursery, which produces tree and shrub seedlings for conservation plantings on public and private lands. Native New York seed sources are used when available. The nursery’s annual spring seedling sale is open to all interested customers in New York and bordering states.
For a fee, seedlings are shipped by designated truckers to a single location within certain counties. Customers pick up their orders at designated locations on specified dates, which are not set until early April.
I have turned my front and back lawns into habitats for native insects. American lawns are modeled after British manor homes. Trying to achieve this archaic ideal has become so standard it’s cliche.
Tall native grasses of the Northeast were decimated to make way for smaller tropical and genetically modified smaller species which are easy to cut.
I’ve learned from untold research that trees, native plants and tall grasses that are allowed to flower provide the most food for native and migrating pollinators like bees and butterflies. Birds that do not migrate also benefit from seeds of mature grasses during the lean winter months when food is scarce.
My yard is a combination of food garden while the remaining is a native and non-native plants. Since I’ve changed from a manor house grass lawn I’ve had so many visitors to my lawn!
So basically, as stated in 1989’s Field of Dreams, “If you build it, they will come.”
Visit the Lady Bird Johnson Native Plant Center for native plants in your part of the United States.
Buy Native Plants from These Locations:
- Audubon Greenwich, Greenwich, CT
- Bartlett Arboretum, Stamford, CT
- New Jersey Botanical Garden , Ringwood, NJ
- Pfeiffer Center Plant Sale, Chestnut Ridge, NY
- Hilltop Hanover FarmYorktown Heights, NY
- Lasdon Park Plant Sale and Garden Show, Katonah, NY
- Rosedale Nurseries, Hawthorne, NY
- Teatown Plant, Ossining, NY
- Wild Gardens Nursery at Rhinoceros Creek, 401 Route 202, Somers, NY
- Native Plant Center at Westchester Community College, White Plains, NY